Tuesday, September 27, 2005

The Good, the OK, and the Pretty

The Good
Orientation Week. I played tennis, basketball, and guitar with some of the guys at Varsity House. Entering Jesuit I knew a couple people and slowly got to know a few at a time until it grew into our big group. Upon moving in Sunday I’ve been picking up about twenty names a day. And a lot of them are really befriend-able, especially the church groups. There were a couple social activities everyday like potlucks, night-games, a dance (I’m so glad I learned to swing dance).

Varsity House. It’s is my ideal home. The guys are all pretty cool. There’s half of an outdoor basketball court by the parking lot. Our cook definitely knows what she’s doing. We get two home-cooked meals every weekday. We make our own breakfast, and there’s a whole bunch of cereals, waffles, and bagels. Plus we have a Bible study for new guys every Tuesday and worship every Thursday. We have a piano, so I’m learning the Moonlight Sonata right now. 69 measures. I have about 8 of them down. It’ll take awhile.

Friends. I keep seeing people from Jesuit, and I have a few classes with Chris Dieringer. I played basketball with Matt Heberling (soccer team Matt). Good times. Plus I got to see people from my old school again. Even better though, is hanging out with some of the girls from my old church.

My Room. It’s in the basement. It's pretty roomy. We have a three person couch facing a TV. I have a couple roommates. One of them spent the summer in Germany, and he’s studying German, so I’m picking up some of it. He looks like Andrew Cotton. The other knows computers pretty well, so he’s pretty useful to have around.

My Classes. Chemistry, Math, Engineering, and Spanish. On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I get all of my classes out of the way in the morning, and Tuesdays and Thursdays I have one class. They’re all pretty close together, and they’re close to Varsity House. The course load isn’t too much work, and what I’m learning feels interesting/relevant enough for me to be motivated for them.

The Churches. They’re everywhere. Greater Portland Bible Church didn’t really help my faith all that much, so this time I’m checking out a whole bunch of different church groups before becoming a regular member. I went to United Pentecostal Church last Sunday. Man that was interesting.

Sports. I'll be doing intramural basketball, tennis, and soccer. Dixon Recreation Center is about as awesome as it gets as far as athletic facilities go concerning my preferences.

The Just OK
My sleeping porch. A couple guys snore sometimes, and I have a top bunk that’s hard to climb into. Plus it’s below a creaky part of the main floor. I have a soft sleeping pad on top of a new mattress with two heavy blankets, so it’s really hard to get out of bed in the morning on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, but I have to if I want to wake in time to be allowed to have the breakfast food (which tends to cost more) before they cut off the supplies at 10:30.

The Pretty
The Girls! I know Maggie earned Jesuit’s “most likely to win a beauty pageant,” but college girls seem to be in a whole other league. The school is full of runner-ups to say the least. And what’s more, they’re really easy to meet at college-age church groups.

P.S. Ken was right. You guys are unique and no one can replace you. Being in a new community doesn’t take away the place in my life you guys are a part of as the high school group I’ll always remember.

7 comments:

Ken Colwell said...

Yeah, lots of pretty girls here in Ith--oh. No there aren't. :(

Miguel said...

Hmmm...I've got no complaints.

Nancy said...

wait..what?

Adrianna said...

WHAT??

Do tell, Mike!

Miguel said...

Jeez, nobody checks my facebook account.

I'll explain online, via email, whatever, but not on a blog. Call me weird, but yeah.

John said...

Am I really the only one who noticed when mikee changed his facebook profile? Maybe I need to find a new way to procrastinate...

-JB

P.S. I'd say OSU probably wins for having the hottest girl.

P.P.S. I'm also biased

P.P.P.S. I've also always wanted an excuse to join the P.S.ing crowd.

b said...

Welcome aboard, John!

post script
Mike tried to slide it by me in an AIM convo, but I'm pretty much Johnny Bench.