Friday, September 09, 2005

My First All-Nighter, Among Other Long and Drawn Out Things

So last night was my first radio show. I auditioned for this thing called Nocturne at the campus's FM station. During the day they play jazz and classical, but 12-2 every night is college rock. I beat out a fair number of kids, but now that I look back it isn't really that surprising seeing as though I have been under the tutelage of Shakeer for about a year now and the people who run the program are awesome Portland hipster-types. My partner is a really cool junior girl who thought of the name for our show: "We attempted to ford the river but our oxen drowned," paraphrasing everyone's favorite mid-90's computer game Oregon Trail. We kept the talking to a minimum and played requests, our requisite 30 minutes of rotational music, and whatever else we felt like. I forgot to tape it (damn, now you'll never know my secret feelings about the O.C.), so in a typically self-indulgent move, I will post the set list.

1. The Flaming Lips, Feeling Yourself Disintegrate
2. The Decemberists, We Both Go Down Together
3. Magnetic Fields, When My Boy Walks Down the Street
4. Talking Heads, And She Says
5. Yo La Tengo, Tom Courteney (Acoustic)
6. Pink Floyd, Shine On You Crazy Diamond (tour of the station occurred here)
7. Spoon, They Never Got You
8. Jeff Buckley, Hallelujah (Dedicated to my RA who used to be in the seminary and called in)
9. Sufjan Stevens, Casimir Pulaski Day
10. The Russian Futurists, Paul Simon
11. Beck, Girl
12. Iron and Wine, Jezebel
13. The Fiery Furnaces, Smelling Cigarettes
14. Bloc Party, Banquet
15. Death From Above 1979, You're a Woman, I'm a Machine (Dedicated to the girl who gave me the job. She wanted Rose Parade by Elliott Smith, and I was about to play it before I remembered he said 'shit' on it and would've cost the station $3000)
16. The Clash, Guns of Brixton (A drunk guy named Z called and requested it)
17. Bob Marley, Is This Love (For Z's friend Duke)
18. The Dandy Warhols, We Used To Be Friends
19. Aqualung, Brighter Than Sunshine
20. Spoon, I Turn My Camera On (I made a mistake and hit the wrong track. The one we wanted to play was #21)
21. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!, Upon This Tidal Wave of Young Blood (Requested by the crazy cool guy how gave me the job)
22. Gorillaz, Feel Good Inc. (We meant to play #23)
23. Gorillaz, White Lite
24. The Arcade Fire, Wake Up (Ironic, because I meant to play the track after it, Goodnight Goodnight by the Hot Hot Heat but it didn't work)

So yeah, made a lot of mistakes but it was really fun. And being at the Grotto really late at night is cool. It makes me feel like a sentinel. I don't leave until someone else comes to take my place. Anyway, I got back at 2:45 and still had a sizable chunk of Calculus homework to do, along with sixty or so pages of Thomas More's Utopia to read, but I got held up because there was a commotion on my level. One of the largest, strongest guys in the dorm was drunk off his ass and switching violently between being jovial and being really pissed off. He said some of the funniest things I've ever heard, for example: "All I want is some vagina." Followed minutes later by, "I would never do anything unchaste. You might as well marry the girl. I am going to ask her to marry me tomorrow. All I need is a nice girl like my mom." This was amusing, and I had to hide my laughter because he would turn on a pin and get angry again. He was really pissed at his roommate. My RA wasn't having any luck getting him to go to bed, so I set him in front of my laptop and played some live AC/DC for him to sing along with (Thank you, Mr. Puett.) Eventually everyone went to bed and I was able to get to work. I got mostly done by 5:30, but my class was at 8:30 and I figured I'd just make it all the way through the night to see what it felt like. So I poured myself some Wheaties and watched daybreak reflect off the Golden Dome. I dozed off in my first class, but I haven't slept since and it's 11 here right now. So that's about 40 hours without sleep. I kind of want to see how long I can go. Everything is going pretty well for me here. Granted I'm not on the Interhall football team like J.B, which is where the glory is, but I'm on the soccer team and captain of a dodgeball squad. I'm also a sportwriter for the daily paper, so my Moleskine will get a workout. John and I are both doing chess and I signed up for this food share program that takes our leftovers from North Dining Hall to the homeless shelter. Half the reason I'm doing it is because they are going to let me drive and I miss driving. Of course the van will be no Rocinante, but I've nicknamed my rusty, creaky bike "the grey," so the tradition continues. I have some other stuff going, but I can't really remember right now. My brain doesn't feel so good. Oh yeah, I'm going to be a boxer in Bengal Bouts. It's huge here, pray for me.

post script
As I was writing this a drunk girl opened my door and talked to me about a mutual friend for a few minutes.

6 comments:

David said...

What station is it?

b said...

The station is 88.9, and please call and make a request. We have a pretty sizable collection, if you exclude rap, hip-hop, and country. Thanks for reading David.

Katie, she had s different story for how she came up with it and it sounded legit to me. Plus, we had to rework her idea because it involved buffalo and something else that was wrong. But I am ashamed even to be associated with that thing. Now I want to rename the show.

Cynda said...

hmmm well Ben you may have had a fun night but I really think my night tops yours I mean I was offered crack felt up by two twenty year olds walking past oh and the best of all slurped at by an old drunk man. I mean seriously how could you not want to come up to Chicago and party!?!?

right.

Scott Nye said...

Ben, so you know, you've now done something I've dreamt of doing.

Also, Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah" rules.

Also, "dreamt" is the only word in the English language ending with "mt."

b said...

Yeah, and I forgot to mention that I only do the Thursday night show.

X said...

you NEED to play "like a virgin" and dedicate it to, "My loser friend, alex, that sang this song durring chess club and is probably still a virgin because of it."