(It's long but please read it. Please.)
Hi guys. I haven't posted yet about Cornell because I've been really busy. Sometime soon I'll tell you about it. Mostly I'm having fun and waiting for my Verizon cell phone to get here so I can actually call you. (T Mobile doesn't get any reception on North Campus, where I live. More on that later.) But even though it's 1:26 AM right now in Ithaca, and I'm really tired (not to mention out of practice writing), I feel like now would be a good time to write something. Here goes.
I have never really been the type to miss people. Sleepovers, summer camp, whatever, I would almost totally forget about the other people in my life and focus on what was going on. I didn't really think about my parents or siblings or friends all that much, even though I liked them.
One of the things college has shown me, though, is that although there may be cool people anywhere I go, they're not you. They don't have the same sense of humor, or they're not as laid-back, or they're not as understanding... not yet, anyway. I can't think of any less lame way to say this, but the people who read this blog are some of the best people I've ever met. I'm not just going to find extra copies of you guys hanging out in random places all over the United States. (Which would have surprised me if I'd heard that back in spring. Hey, it's a big country.)
With the exception of Patrick and maybe Misha, you're not going to end up here at Cornell. So when I miss you guys, which happens upwards of five times a day, I walk to my computer and check this blog. If there's something new, I read that. If there isn't, I read something old and smile at it and then I get up and finish my beer. (Ha ha just kidding.) I am sitting here writing this because this blog is such an important part of my life right now. (I know this sounds more and more sappy the farther along you read but important things sound like that sometimes. Please bear with me.)
Ben told me a while ago that he's tired of people thinking this is his blog. It's not, anymore. It's our blog. Enough of our lives--our lives, not just Ben's--has been recorded and discussed and remembered here that it's become, at least for me, something almost... sacred. ESPECIALLY since I can't see you anymore. I don't have pictures of you guys and I don't have a working phone and I don't have my cookies and this is how I feel like I'm sitting on a couch across from you laughing and chatting about whatever random crap we used to chat about.
Here's my point. This blog isn't here for us to work out our issues with each other. When we have issues with each other we can use AIM or a phone, or we can complain about it in some livejournal somewhere or talk to another friend about it. This blog is here for us to keep in touch. It's here so we can hang out. Of course things are changing now, and of course there's gonna be some friction there. But please, for my sake if no one else's, store it somewhere else. In fact, call or message me. Just, before you ever hit "post comment," think about each one of the twenty-odd names on the left side of the screen reading what you wrote and hearing what you said. There have been a lot of times where I hesitated over the comment button and just closed the window for that reason. If you see something turning into an argument, and you're part of it, leave my couch and my buddies for a second and talk about it outside the room, okay? If you can't bring yourself to do that, I just really wish you would hold off on posting until you've at least discussed it with someone.
I'll say it again. This blog is a place for me and everyone else to feel safe and be who we are. I wish there was an irritation filter so it could stay positive, but there isn't, so you have to do it yourself. It makes me so sad when I load this page to feel better and more at home and I end up feeling like home is farther away than it's ever been before, or that the home I remember isn't going to be there anymore when I get back. (It won't be home if we're not friends.)
As Misha said, "I like it better when everybody is just okay with everybody else." Can we do that? Swallow the little annoyances and if they get too big find somewhere else to blurt them out? Because I don't want to lose this blog--I don't need anything else to miss right now.
Can I get an amen?
12 comments:
amen!
Me too! Good call Pat.
Amen again.
Awww... cute post.
Way to all have Verizon, guys... now i feel left out :(
Oh, and amen.
Amen.
Well done, my child.
post script
I collected quotes from those online to supplement this post, as Ken was unsure how well (or much) he could write while severely fatigued. Obviously no help was necessary. Sorry to those who I bothered, especially Devon who wrote something very nearly as eloquent and heartfelt (and long) as Ken's. And boy is Ken long.
Ken: Amen, couldn't have said it any better myself... matter of fact the aforementioned post referenced by Ben, was pales in comparison.
Ben: No Worries, it gave me something to stew over for a while.
Everyone else: Miss you all. Its been hard being one of the people left at home for the last month, hearing about your exploits as school started for y'all. Soon I'll make a post about the move-in and life at OSU.
Ha, pun.
Hey I have like 170 minutes left on my phone card. Bitches.
You can call me for free too! Oh wait..isn't that why we have skype? Magda, I told you to get Verizon, it's what all the cool kids use.
I have Verizon too. It's pretty much awesome.
And yes, Ken...Amen. With a capital "A."
And yes, I miss the hell out of you all. The old saying about "home is where the heart is"...my heart ain't here, not without ya'll.
And man, I got the worst word verification yet.
Well Joseph, you need to get me your email address. And promise to sacrifice your first-born son to the giant gravy boat idol I constructed in my backyard this summer.
i have verizon too. its cool, its not long distance to my friends that have like east coast area codes but live here on campus.
hey, when do the OSU people start, if theres still time we can get together. Chuck and I are still here in ptld, so look us up. hell call us on verizon
P.S. like the link i made between the two completely seperate comments?
P.P.S. didn't think so
P.P.P.S. blogger is making me type Qtarg, coincidence? I THINK NOT!
P.P.P.P.S. A targ is a kind of Klingon Pig if anyone didn't get that.
P.P.P.P.P.S. sorry about all the P.S. crap, i'll stop now
See perfect example Alex, now everyone just take a deep breath... :D
Post a Comment