Alright, so last year, pretty much no one in our class gave me their senior picture. Well, I guess I actually never asked for them and never really took them from people. I did however always tell people that I'd never gotten one from anyone, perhaps for pity but more likely to make conversation. Finally, near the end of the year, my sad tale fell on Nitschke's sympathetic ears and he decided to give me his picture. If you haven't seen the picture, you should; it's a really funny one. He looks kind of creepy. If someone has it, I hope they'll be kind of enough to scan a copyu. Anyway, it was the only one I got so I immediately put it in my pocket notebook and kept it there. It's been in there since.
This weekend, I was on the subway with a bunch of kids heading down to the East Village. Half the kids in the group were drunk and the rest of us were just abusing the drunk kids and taking it all in. Anyway, one girl (I forget her name) was extremely drunk and accordingly very friendly. I think I told her something about how people can be on different levels of understanding and she pretty much got on her knees and started saying how beautiful a thing that was to say. It was kind of surreal. Anyway, the girl had this silver locket around her neck, the sort that you put pictures in. I kept asking her what she kept in her locket but she pretty much kept ignoring the question. Finally, when she did answer, she said she had nothing. She said she didn't know quite what to put in there because it would be weird to have her parents since they were still alive and she didn't have a boyfriend and ex-boyfriends wouldn't make sense and her friends would be creepy and she couldn't do herself and she wasn't the sort of person to put her pets in there. We all agreed that that made plenty of sense.
Later in the evening, I had my notebook out for some reason or other and someone asked if they could see it. They looked through the pocket in which I keep stuff and came across the picture of Jeff. I explained the story behind it and we all passed it around and had a good chuckle over how goofy it was. Then someone proposed that the girl with the locket put it inside there! It was too perfect. She thought it was a great idea (as aforementioned, her reason was hardly intact) and so I ripped the edges to make it fit and we shoved it in there. It was rather cute. Jeff would've been proud.
Anyway, that's another reason I really regretted not having a camera that night. It would've been too cool. If I ever do see her again (I don't know her name or anything so it'll be tricky), I'll have to take a picture of it. Until then, try your best to imagine a very visibly intoxicated girl with a silver locket containing a goofy picture of Jeff Nitschke.
Also Jeff, if you have any more pictures, feel free to mail me another. Ask me for my address. That goes for all of the rest of you too. Let's be pen pals, gang.
3 comments:
I had Jeff's (and Ben K's) pictures in my wallet, but I realized it would look majorly gay to have two guys and only one girl in there, so they got left at home and now it's just Cynda. But yeah, really good story.
Wow I've never felt more honored!
thats a classic,
P.S. the only pictures i have are of Ben K, Cory D, and Misha M
Post a Comment