Sunday, October 17, 2004

Buddha Eat Your Heart Out

Yeah, so yesterday was great. And not just for me. Pretty much your whole blogging team was involved in the greatness. You see, the Gravy Rangers won their first legitimate game yesterday. In 2+ seasons. Against the biggest bunch of assholes I have ever played against. It started off like any other game except for some reason I didn't recognize any players on the other teams( I have played against almost everybody we play against in our league at least once). And we had the bizarro Mr. Hahn for a ref. The guy is Mr. Hahn's Doppleganger and is, as far as I can tell, evil. I don't know how, but the guy always knows at least three players on the other team, talks to them and other kids he knows and they know, and he thus favors their team. I really don't like this guy. The first half went like normal for us. We had the ball in their half of the field over 75% of the time but went into halftime down 1-0 after another freak goal. Oh yeah, and the guy whistled the half when I had the ball, with no one around me, in scoring position. You're not supposed to do that.

So the second half started and everything got weird. I walked in front of the goalie dropkicking the ball and deflected it (I was pretty sure this was legal). The ref blew his whistle and stopped the play. So the guy says to me as i walk away, in a voice quiet like he didn't really want me to hear him, to "fucking try that again." I walked up to the prick and told him to shut the fuck up and then the ref interceded. After that, this girl defender on my side (I was playing right forward) started following every step I took and she would blatantly shove me in the back everytime I got the ball. Then, during dead ball situations, she would talk to one of the bigger guys on her team, obviously point at me, and then I would hear her tell him to beat the shit out of me. That happened twice. So I had these bastards running into me every chance they got. And it wasn't just me, they fouled Cory and Tracy and a lot of others. That ref should have been pulling out some cards, but he didn't. So I was getting really pissed and frustrated over how badly I was playing. But then something spectacular happened. The ref called a foul in the box. Which was actually the right thing to do. Pat was playing great and had developed another scoring chance when he was pushed and so we got a penalty kick. Pat, the master of penalty kicks, almost didn't take it, but everyone on the sidelines were yelling for him to take it and he sunk it. He tied it and I leapt in joy. After that we starting playing really good and getting a lot of chances. With about five minutes left in the game, the ball rebounded out of the box and went to Nathan Schultz. I yelled for the ball but then I saw that he was completely open and I yelled for him to shoot. It was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in my entire life, that ball floating over the keeper's hands and into the back of the net. So we played five minutes of hard defense and won 2-1. I cannot describe how happy I was that we beat them. Smiling ear to ear, I watched Adrianna, Scott, Doug, and John rush the field. I threw the ball in the air in ecstasy. Then Mrs. Finn brought over like three boxes of Krispy Kreme doughnuts and we sang happy birthday to Rachel. What a high. And the capper. Six of us are walking to the parking lot, discussing the game, and start talking about what assholes they were. After I described how they were gunning for me, Rachel asked me which girl it was. I told her it was the freakishly tanned one. And Rachel says "Oh her, she wasn't good at all." I turn around and there she was, about ten yards behind us with her mom. I was so happy that bitch heard us.

Then I went to Mass and thanked God continuously for an hour for our win. Then I Heart Huckabees at Pioneer Place. Many were there and it was a really good movie. And the end was kind of meaningful for that day because it showed how the suffering of your enemies connected them to you. And I felt something for the other team. But not much, as you can probably tell. Then I waited in the rain for my dad to show, saw him drive by a block away, and chased him down at a red light about three blocks away. I felt like I was in a cop movie.

Sorry this is a long post, but it was a great day for me. Rachel, I hope your day was as good as mine was. That would be like sychronized Nirvanas, which would be pretty sweet. God is great, my friends. God is great.

post script
Sorry I didn't help out at the Eagle Project, Dave. I completely blanked. If you have one again, I will be there until the job is done.

post post script
And the day before yesterday wasn't as bad as I made it out. It was actually pretty cool. Adrianna and I started an arbitrary line for Coffee House behind a trash can, and the freshman who had already lined up by the black box door thought it was official and came behind us. Then we all rushed in and got one of the long couches, which we then put six people on. And Coffee House was really good. I wasn't even that pissed off about the chair thing, it was more that I was half an hour late for curfew and trying to get home fast because Tim was hassling me and he was on the cell phone with my dad and yelling at me to slow down because this car full of girls was stopped at a green light at the Scholls Ferry-Beaverton Hillsdale intersection and my brother told my extremely worried about-me-driving dad that I was driving carelessly and that and the idiot girls coupled with the incident all combined to really frustrate me. Whew! What a run-on sentence. Anyway the stream of consciousness thing was an experiment with translating those feelings into writing and I didn't want it to be taken too seriously. But thanks to those who replied. Whatever depression that was in me then totally evaporated under the hot, glowing sun that is the glory of yesterday.

2 comments:

Misha said...

Oh My Gosh! I was so very happy after the game. I had a horribly busy day, but it was wonderful. God that game was superb. But wow, I have only been in a few games as intense as that. I mean, the crap they pulled like pushing you Ben or the PK with Pat (good call ref.) and some other not cool stuff (ha, like the kid who gave us a fist instead of a high five). I was just so elated after that game. It was great fun and the other team was mad! So I didn’t get shotgun on the way home, next time. But really, Rangers, you all did a great job. Fans of the Rangers, your support did not go unnoticed. Fans do help a lot.
I really wanted to go to I Heart Huckabees, but alas, work, you know how it goes. If anyone wants to see it again, I’m willing because I hear that it is great. Or any other movies I have missed because of work. There seems to be a lot of them. Like Garden State! Someone go with me!! I must catch up on my movie viewage. I think that’s a made up word. But you get the message.

Adrianna said...

You could've taken her. She was small and had the complexion of a piece of toast.