Steering the blog into more serious territory here, I know, but I'd just like to say that I LOVE YOU ALL. OWE 2004 was probably the most incredible experience I can say I've had at Jesuit... the memories... just wow. If you haven't been on an Encounter, go on one. If you're a senior, lead one. Don't pass up the chance to feel love this strong. Stuff like this only comes once in a lifetime.
So where to begin? Almost getting thrown out of a Shari's for being way too loud. Raiding WinCo for chips 'n cameras and forgetting to buy either. Thursday night, carrying crap to the kitchens under the most beautiful night sky. Friday morning, doing the electric slide while waiting for the bus. Small group with a peppy cheerleader and four soccer buddies. Laura's quidditch shirt as an icebreaker. Hugging like goddamn crazy. Saying "OH... MY... GOSH" and "they're sooo cute!" like 800 times in one afternoon. Eating too many brownies. Paraliturgy and the hugs that followed. Waking up the kids on Saturday by screaming like an idiot. Watching girls writing on every available named and paper-covered surface once they found markers. More crying, more hugs. Saturday night-- 'nuff said. Rachel eating way too many swedish fish... I think I also shoved a plastic bag in my mouth sometime during that. Malori laughing at absolutely nothing. Katie Hef getting smacked in the face with the fom pillow. Katie Hef falling on her face. Katie Bz in the catepillar sleeping bag. SLEEP TEAM USA. The really stupid yet somehow insanely funny at the time idea of "Hate Camp." Erin teaching us the sound Jello makes when it hits the floor ("bloogshhsig"). Claire teaching us how to cheer. Frickin' Bricks. The mascot- friendbear! Senor Mc. Cowcow the popcorn cow. Singing with Mr. Clarke in front of a roaring fire. Eating waaaay too much food. The showers. The river. The love. Having to leave it all and carry it home.
There is so much I want to write here but I can't, partially to protect the secrets of the Encounter but also partially because I really can't put the love I'm feeling right now into words. Incredible doesn't even come close to describing it. Leaders, thanks so much for sharing this experience with me. It doesn't get better than this. Juniors (if you're reading this), bring the love with you on Monday. Katie, Rachel, post your damn thoughts because I'm going on a walk now.
4 comments:
Kinda late in commenting, but better late than never and all that...
I'm really glad the Encounter went so amazingly (yeah...that actually is a word). OWE always seems like it'd be the hardest one to go on, it being the first for the class and all, but every year they come back and are just floored.
It's been so awesome seeing all of you guys come back from that, so great job to all who led...if every Encounter team was half that good, the Juniors would be in great shape.
That should be "if every Encounter team IS half that good," not was...the Encounter teams last year rocked...don't want that to be misinterpretted in any way...
Hear, hear! This past weekend has been absolutely amazing and I couldn't have summed it up better. I love you all, thank you for the cookies and the hugs and the prayers...
A few more encounter memories that have to be shared... dressing up like hookers and totally overdoing the makeup (red crayola marker, anyone?), the migrating toilet paper boobs, "I suck chicken nuggets" (who says that?), our hot new dance move... "The Rachel" (ask for a demo sometime), Holland looking for a missing page in the middle of her talk... I could go on forever, but I'll never forget that weekend. You guys made it amazing.
Thank you, Adrianna and Katie, for being there when I couldn't throw my rock. You have no idea how much that meant to me. Thank you to all the leaders, I love you so much. It was the best weekend of my life, and I can honestly say I wouldn't change a thing...
Lead an encounter. I mean it.
OWE forever.
~Maggie
Snort! I love you guys too!
Post a Comment