pre script
Required listening while reading this post: Southern Man by Neil Young off of After the Goldrush
On a big detour to soccer practice I had the following thought. Is it a coincidence that the sport with the biggest following in the South, NASCAR, is virtually devoid of Black stars? I know I have a conspiracy theorist streak in me, so feel free to write me off as crazy, but I think that there must be some connection. Most professional sports are now dominated by Black athletes. Now there are obviously still pretty good white guys playing football and baseball (and in the now defunct NHL, but seriously, who cares that its defunct? Nobody), but my hypothesis is that many of the Southern good old boys cannot stand to see the consistant excellence in minorities and now adhere to a sport populated completely by their own kind. This may not be true racism, just more of a comfort factor or something of that sort. Or its entirely innocent and Southerners really are as stupid as we joke and do enjoy watching a cars going around an oval for 2 hours. Or its a different kind of sickness, in that they enjoy watching the cars spin out and flip over. I wouldn't put anything past them.
post script
At practice, when (exulting FME) I described the guys, aside from Colonel, who went to NME as girls I realized I probably do have a sexist streak in me, as Rachel has so deftly pointed out. Not that I believe in any innate advantages either way, I just stupidly continue to use the term girl as an insult. I should have hung that one up after seventh grade. Please take into consideration that I was experiencing flashbacks to the most epic football game I have ever had the privilege of experiencing. And I could not imagine this happening on NME. But many friends went on that one and I shouldn't have said that because I know its not true. Oops, Neanderthal Ben.
post post post script
I just realized I have no credibilty in the music department. But I hope you listened to it anyway. It lent a nice flavor while I wrote.
5 comments:
FME!!
Not only are there some good white players in the NHL as you mentioned, but there are only about 2 black players in the entire league. And Southerners are just plain crazy. I think that it's all three, they're stupid, racist and sick...kind of like Doug.
I think it's racist how your soccer team has no coloured players.
(unless it does. I don't really know whether or not does. here's to hoping it doesn't.)
Hey, I'm only biased towards hispanics, they are dirty and lazy, and most importantly, I'm one of them. So lay off your Aztec-bashing you dirty Puerto Rican!
DCE has a clear advantage over NME and FME. Girls!
DCE rules! (In all seriousness I respect the differences of preference people have on this.)
~Cory
I dunno, we're cooking up a pretty good crop at OWE '04... they may be tiny junior girls but they are probably vicious!
Post a Comment