Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Lum's Slave Society...

...so I have christened it, and so it has become. NHS requires members to do the most stupid and pointless things under the pretext of "serving others." Basically, NHS rounded up all the dumb saps who are willing to do someone else's bitch work in order to improve their chances at college and put them to the bitch work. Offering ourselves as tutors and running the blood drive makes sense, but why the hell should I have to put together a "christmas box" for some kid? Who says I have money to do that? Maybe an NHS member is poor. (Ok, so I'm not...but how do they know that?) And why should I set up chairs for some schoo thing or call people to give money? I know it helps the school, but why am I required to do it? I joined this society because they said I was special and wanted me, cause it was a challenge, and because someone told me it would look good for college. I have no desire to do shit jobs and I already help out around the school a ton though tech and football. More is just ludacris. I wouldn't object if NHS seemed to have some real...merit to it. But what does NHS do for me? NOTHING! Except some intangible benefit from having it on a college application. Is it worth it? I'm begining to think not...but its too late to back out now! Curse you, NHS, curse you!

-JB

8 comments:

Shakeer said...

Man, I agree. At least the Christmas box has some value to it though...last week, for NHS I had to work at the Financial Aid luncheon which was complete bitch work. Basically we waited tables and served food. Jesuit needed some kids to do the work so they just got Mr. Lum to do it.

Afterwards, me and Gus let Mr. Lum how NHS has become like a tool of Jesuit and how he should just do what he wants to do and not what the administration is forcing him to do but he got all defensive and was like "well uhh I came up with the christmas box idea myself!".

I can see the christmas box, tutoring, and blood drive as good stuff but doing things like the Financial Aid luncheon or setting up chairs for mass is really lame.

Adrianna said...

Wait, wait wait what's this about a christmas box? I didn't come to the last meeting because I slept in... is that a strike too? Fill me in you guys.

Scott Nye said...

Wow...I hate to say I toldja so (which is a total lie, because I love it), but seriously...back when NHS sign-ups were going on, did I not say it was a bad deal? Now, admittedly, they had no use for me and my 3.345 GPA, so I didn't have the opportunity to act upon my superior knowledge, but seriously...wow, it is so sweet to be right.

Honestly, if you're getting above a 3.6, getting into college is not gonna be a big deal. It might not be Yale or Harvard, but who needs those guys? In any case, NHS isn't gonna change your case either.

Breakdown of worthiness of NHS activites...

Blood Drive - Good
Luncheons - Bad
Phone calls - Bad (what are you, the secretaries?)
Setting up chairs - Good (means I don't have to do it in tech)
Christmas Box - Bad (I'm with John on this one...I buy enough Christmas presents as it is)
Tutoring - Bad (HIGH GPA DOES NOT EQUAL SMART)

I don't even know what other crap you guys gotta do. And ordinarily I'd feel sorry for you, but it's the same thing I say about sports - YOU SIGNED UP. Deal with it.

Nancy said...

Um...there was another meeting...about Christmas boxes..when? I already have a strike for not being at open house. Hey does anyone need a tutor?

Nancy said...

what the hell are christmas boxes anyway??

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

HA!! I am so glad that I'm not Mr. Lum's bitch. Thank God for laziness! I applied, but writing the essay the night before somehow didn't get me in. Obviously the people who graded my papers were defective. And then I was too late to apply in the summer. Mr. Lum wants every one to Turnitin.com their application. (WTF?!?) And that deadline was two days before the actual deadline, so here I am. Totally free. Okay, not really. But I am so much better than all of you. Of course the whole college thing...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.