Most boring movie I've ever seen in my life. I've never been more tempted to just walk out. Unfortunately I had nowhere to go and no means of getting there.
The Pilgrimage rocked. The fellowship, the fun, making people laugh, the skits, the prayer, the washing feet, some witnessing, and the messages communicated in the stops. I liked it more than the encounter.
8 comments:
Can't say anything about the movie, but I feel the same way about the Pilgrimage...I doubt many others will feel that way, but the messages and the timing of this one were opportune for me.
I hope everybody else enjoyed it, too. Thanks to everybody for making it what it was, and making it as meaningful as it was for me. Y'all rule.
As an important note, Napoleon Dynamite is one of the greatest things we were given this summer.
As another important note, the Pilgrimage was amazing. To quote some others (and some of these will be butchered)...
"I hope every Pilgrimage gets as much rain as we did."
"I can honestly say I wouldn't have rather been anywhere else."
"I asked everyone in my tent what's the place they'd like to be more than anywhere else, and they all said right here."
"FELLOW PILGRIMS....I'd walk with you in the rain forever."
And many more that I can't get because no one's online and they're all in profiles :-D
At any rate, the Pilgrimage was incredible. Probably the best single Mass I've ever been at, easily the best walk I've ever had (I walk a lot, and walking in pouring rain and cold temps with all of you guys was just amazing). Of course, singing around the campfire...for once, it wasn't only like three of us singing American Pie. And to those who roomed with me in the tent...well, that was just the capper to the day.
So again, thanks so so soooo much to all who came. You made my year.
Scott! You rock my world. Thanks for getting another camera for me... you're an awesome dude and I don't feel like I thanked you enough for that.
The pilgrimage kicked all sorts of ass. There was something really powerful about it that I just can't quite wrap my head around right now... that mass in the church was probably the best I've ever been to. And the rain! The rain made it absolutely incredible. Sure, it would have been awesome even if it was sunny and 70 out, but there's something about that last stop where we all had to penguin up to keep warm that just made the whole experience for me. That and the bonfire where it suddenly got clear and we could see the stars. God was present in our footsteps this weekend.
Y'know what's sad? When I was in the big room trying to sleep I heard someone whisper to someone else "50 bucks for this?" It's hard for some people to look beyond the surface, beyond the initial suffering and to take what lies beneath for all that it's worth. It's not like I'm pissed at the people who didn't get much of anything out of it, it's more like I wish that they would be able to see what we learned this weekend through those twelve long miles. Together, we can conquer anything with the help of God. If we can take on 12 miles in hilly old backcountry Washington together, we can attack our labels, we can break down our walls, we can fight hatred, we can stand up for what is right, and we can leave the Knight Center for the last time when we graduate confident that we have made our time at Jesuit all that it can be. It doesn't have to be the big things, either: just as God is present in our everyday lives, we can use this experience to enjoy the small stuff to the fullest. Don't ever dismiss this experience as some stupid metaphor. In a sense, it was a transformation.
Thank you everyone for walking with me. I'm looking forward to making this final year one that none of us will ever forget.
I forgot to mention that I was very depressed that we missed the Cowlitz County Threshing Bee by almost a month. You know how I love a good thresh.
Agreed, Dave. It wasn't an actual "struggle"... it was more of a unity thing, a way of saying, hey, we come from a lot of places but we're going to take this journey together so we instantly have at least one thing in common... the cold, the rain, whatever. And speaking as a person who walks everywhere, it was a pretty damn fun walk. The route was very pretty. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but only if I wasn't going to be doing it alone.
First, Adrianna, you're very welcome for the camera. Felt like a bit of an ass leaving the other one behind, and that's a bad way to start a retreat. Plus, now you have a buncha cool pictures. Unless you didn't take any. Which would be very...very ironic.
And Dave, I have absolutely no problem saying I was sore by the end of the walk. Was it the be all and end all of struggle? No. But it was tough, and I am out of shape. We can't all be in the Boy Scouts.
I will agree that it wasn't raining that hard. It just rained for a long time.
I think that those of us without a water-proof (or even water-resistant) jacket, no covering for our heads, and no dry clothes by the end of the day can say we suffered. Man I got cold.
I also want to give a shout out to Cynda. You rock! While I tend to never hear about social gatherings until after they happen, nor do I understand why this happens nor how to correct this, she said she'll try to keep me in the loop, which is really cool. what a saint.
Hey, pay no heed, I just want to document the highlights for me so I don't forget. Without further ado, my Top Ten.
10. The campfire. Acting as a heat shield for those who were uncomfortabley close to the fire was great. I slow roasted myself in air that must have been over 200 degrees. The smores and songs made a great night.
9. Eating dinner under the (soft) drinks table in the cafeteria with Mike.
8. Washing ten pairs of feet on nine different people (Amir really liked it). And then having Deavon give me an unspeakably good foot washing. I don't think Jesus could have done any better.
7. The walk. It should be number one, but that would be kind of contrived. Simply said, it was amazing. I loved walking with you guys. And the rest of our class. In that glorious rain. We might have only brought 170, but they were the best 170.
6. Mass. Everything about it. Especially Fr. Pat's homily.
5. Trying to pick up random hill billy chicks while they sat in their cars.
4. Making fun of the fat ass cop who guarded us using an obscure reference to his likeness a small part actor and Liberty diabetes spokesman Willford Brimley. Then having him constantly tell me to stay to the right of the yellow line.
3. Being the Truckmaster.
2. Realizing that male genitalia can become super heated without warning its owner. And informing my tent just in case they were in a situation as described in #10. Oh yeah, and our tent was the coolest tent that has ever existed. Thanks for not peeing in the bottle Cory.
And the number one coolest thing, as all of you know
1. My shoe caught on fire.
Post a Comment