Saturday, September 25, 2004

Wimbledon

Continuing on the hopefully-long-running theme of posting a review after seeing a new movie, I bring you the latest: The British romantic comedy Wimbledon, starring Paul Bettany and Kirsten Dunst.

First, I should go on the record saying that I like romantic comedies. I really do. Not just the "guy movie romantic comedies" like There's Something About Mary or anything Adam Sandler's done (and if anyone tells you those aren't romantic comedies, they're dead wrong...they are comedies about romance). I am actually talking about "chick flicks." My problem is, like any other genre, with the bad ones. The good ones are funny, uplifting, and generally just feel-good movies, which every now and then I'm in the mood for. They might be cheesy, but cheesy's refreshing.

Which brings me to Wimbledon, which is in fact a very cheesy movie. But damn if I wasn't into it. It's got the cast of regulars...regular good-hearted guy, really hot fun girl every guy wishes they could have, the far better-looking but asshole competition, the jolly friend, the wacky family, the dad saying "my daughter has more important things, but don't worry I'll cheer for you in the end." Yeah, the gang's all here.

But it works.

Paul Bettany is great. Thankfully, he actually comes across as a tennis player, and he plays the romantic lead well (his voice-overs are especially well-done). While this will likely be a lesser-noted part in her career, Kirsten Dunst does fine work here. She's the really hot fun girl every guy wishes he could have, and that's about all there is to it. But being that I follow Dunst's work (yeah, she's hot, but she's also a great actress...see "The Virgin Suicides" and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" for perfect evidence on this...and man, I loved her in Spider-Man 2), it's cool to see her in a pretty mainstream, cut-and-dry role. As with the rest of the movie, it's refreshing.

I gotta say...the direction in this was fantastic. Far above and beyond any romantic comedy I've ever seen, and it holds its own against other films. The tennis scenes are extremely well-done and easy to follow, without just simply airing it like ESPN. And the camerawork during Paul Bettany's voice-overs is great...it's almost more like Fight Club or Donnie Darko than My Best Friend's Wedding.

The trailers say this is by the same guys who did "Four Weddings and a Funeral" and "Notting Hill," but I have yet to find any creative link. Near as I can figure, it's the production company. So if you were thinking of seeing this off that, don't. But if you like romantic comedies, want a break from trying to find the best movie of the year (it's what I do, at least), have always wanted to see Paul Bettany in a leading role (there are those who have been waiting for it, apparently), or just plain like Kirsten Dunst, then by all means, please see this film. It really is a lotta fun, and I don't believe you'll be disappointed.

3 comments:

b said...

Dude. I hope you saw her in Jumanji. She was fucking amazing.

b said...

Yeah, Pat. Rudy does suck balls. Anyway, nice review Scott. And way to get it in under that killer deadline I gave you. 27 seconds to spare. With Blogger's screwy clock too. You were born to blog.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, feel-good movies most defintely do blow. Hard. Except Rudy, which was about Notre Dame, and football, and evil invading robots from the crab nebula, and hot, hot, hotty hot lesbians, so that was cool, but without out those key thematic elements, they do suck. Oh, and yeah, she was pretty hot in Jumanji.