Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Reassurance

I don't know about you guys, but sometimes I really feel like there is nobody more stupid than me in the entire world. Like today in History when we were talking about an online game we can play. The teacher was talking about how he wasn't satisfied with any of the flags given and how he custommade his own and how we could guess what was on it. I don't know why, but I turned to Chris and whispered "a swastika" making light of how pro-German our teacher is. Unfortunateley the guy has amazing hearing and called me on it. Yeah, I felt pretty dumb. But, like always, God lifted my spirits, reminding me that although I am dumb, I am not nearly as dumb as some people. Glancing through the paper in an area I don't noramlly venture into, I ran into a short piece (that's a pun, you'll get it later) entitled 'Man held in attempt to circumcise his son.' This guy in Clark County is being tried on first degree assault after he tried to circumcise his 8 year old son with a knife. Apparently he called 9-1-1 after becoming alarmed at his son's loss of blood. He got the idea after reading two Bible passages. What a dumbass. But boy that made me feel better. Except I really feel for that kid. He's gonna have a lot of scars.

post script
The Germans, coincidentally, have a word for happiness at another's misfortune. It's Schadenfreude.

14 comments:

X said...

I could have gone my entire life knowing that ssome dumb ass did that to his son. So what happened to the father and your history teacher? I'm interested.

Scott Nye said...

Heh. The Bible. Source of so much love, and yet, so much hate, destruction, and complete stupidity.

Misha said...

Ouch, I didn't like that story, but hey, whatever makes you feel good. But yeah, what did your teacher say? Was he angry? And I agree with Scott. The Bible is great...unless you're a dumbass.

Miguel said...

Yeah, sadly lots of them have been in charge of interpreting the Bible over the years.

Misha said...

Hey Ben, I was just ya know, lookin around the internet, and I came across a blog not nearly as cool as this one, and yet (it was from Blogger, yes, this provider) it had 16 contributers. Impossible you say? Nay, it is true. Look into that. Are you sure that you cannot have more than 10 bloggers? not saying that you are in the wrong or anything. sir.

b said...

All I know is that we had eleven people on when Adrianna joined and after she joined no new comments or posts were shown. I went to the library after school yesterday, checked again and it still wasn't working so I booted A (sorry it had to be you Adrianna) and republished like I had tried to do at least three other times and it worked instantly. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

post script
Devon told me it was probably our bandwidth, so maybe that other blog had a better hookup, I don't know.

post script
Misha, if you have this much extra time on your hands, shouldn't you be volunteering or something? :-)

Misha said...

Yeah. I'll get on that Ben.

Adrianna said...

Eh, no biggie Ben. We should try running some experiments, though. Maybe I posted too soon after I was accepted or something... just admit a dummy account, wait 30 minutes, and see what happens.

Geez, I always break stuff!

Misha said...

yeah, good job adrianna

Cory said...

come on now scotch, the bible doesn't create the stupidity. the real source is within the reader, right?

Scott Nye said...

I didn't say it CREATED stupidity...I said it was the source of stupidity. Which, c'mon...look at history, man.

b said...

I don't really buy arguments about all the terrible things religion (specifically Christianity) has done to this world. The most terrible genocides humanity has every seen were perpetrated by people who didn't believe any God was watching or that there would be any consequences. Mao, Stalin, Hitler killed by the millions. Name three people responsible for death on such a gigantic scale who did it because of religious belief.

Miguel said...

Whichever Pope Urban started the Crusades...there's one.

It's not the Bible that has stupidity, it's the misinterpreter. Which is what has been said.

Anonymous said...

likeapuma.blogspot.com