Has anyone else noticed that pink seems to be the new color? I mean, really...some people have always worn it (Miss Erin :D) and others wear it off and on (the ladies out there) and that's ok...BECAUSE THEY'RE GIRLS! When a new baby girl comes, she's wrapped in a cute pink blanket. Boys are in blue. This sets up a lifetime of color seggregation...girls in pink (or whatever color they FEEL like wearing), boys in more masculine colors, gay people using rainbows and lavender and PINK (if they're guys).
Last year, however, Brian Floberg (a truely awesome dude) decided he wanted to be different. He would be cool. The first male at JHS to wear pink. It became his trademark...almost once a week, there was Flo, pink shirt worn proudly.
Amazingly, he pulled it off. Put it all down to the power that is Flo. People stared, they admired, and lo and behold, the man was damn sexy in pink. Ladies fawned over him (that's right...you did :P) and guys envied him from a distance (takes balls to wear pink...or at leaset it DID).
Jump forward to this year. At registration, I counted no less than 5 upstanding members of the male community in pink shirts. Its merely gotten worse from there...today, I saw about 12. Some were men wearing earings. Now really...pink and BOTH ears pierced? Had someone told me this would be the new straight fashion for guys two year ago, I woulda laughed my ass off. Now I'm just scared. What has happened that guys find it cool to wear pink? Are they just that much more comfortable with their sexuality? If so, does that mean an onslaught of lavender shirts and rainbow headbands is next? Will men decide that those cute little miniskirts that I find so attractive show off their hairy legs and being wearing them? Will me SHAVE their legs? Grow their hair out like a girls (not a mullet...a long set of well-cared for hairs)? Wear makeup? Tights? WHEN WILL THE MADNESS STOP?!?!?
I, for one, will not cross over. At least not until my dear mother decides to buy me something pink. Yes, she does buy all my clothes. I'm proud of that fact. My mom's got style.
Alright, so I started picking them out after sixth grade. She still pays, though. And sometimes buys pants and shorts for me without my permission. I miss the days when she bought it all, though...it was so much simpler. I'm positive I'll marry a woman with good taste in style and convince her to purchase all my clothing for me.
Ironically, I've spent more time in the last year shopping for girl's dresses than any sort of male clothing. Even getting my new suit took only twenty minutes. Only difference is with the dresses, I was with a girl...with my clothes, I'm with my family. That might explain things.
Anyone wanna go clothes shopping with me? :D
9 comments:
I'd like to join you in speaking-out against dudes wearing pink (yeah, 'cause no one saw this coming). Okay, I'll admit...the rare man can pull it off. The rest don't even look gay...it's not even the right word. They just look like douchebags. There's the word for it. I was THIS CLOSE (picture me putting my fingers really close together) to telling off one of the guys wearing a pink polo shirt today...but alas, I was near being late for class anyway. So, to anyone who's listening (and if things get worse, you'll hear it more!), GUYS DO NOT WEAR PINK. There are some social rules in life...very few. This is one of them. Like any rule, it can be broken, but only if you can get away with it.
I though Slade Norris started that. Or did he just get credit for riding Floberg's coattails?
Arg, you have found an error in my story...Slade was indeed the first to wear pink. Even before Flo. As I sit here thinking about it, I'm forced to admit he even wore pink more often than Flo did. The only reason flo stuck in my head was that I talked with him about it one day...his reasoning was that he could wear pink because he was "that hot"...
But yeah, Slade did start it off. *wacks self for leaving that out*
About the miniskirts, well let's just say the trend may already be starting. Just ak Ken; I believe he's quite fond of them.
Story: One day in 5th period last year, Slade was talking about the game that night with Amanda Armstrong, sitting right behind me. He was expressing some doubt in his ability, then smiled and said, "But as long as this guy's here, I'll be fine." He then proceeded to stroke my chin. This ritual continued for rest of that semester, and then, because I had him again in Spanish the very next period, he'd repeat the process. Even right before the announcements ended, meaning everybody was quiet and paying attention.
Now that I've overshared...
Yeah, stay away from pink. Always assume you're not hot enough. ALWAYS. Until proven wrong.
Hot enough? It's not a matter of hottness. NO matter how hot the guy is he still looks ridiculous in pink especially hot pink!! The only time it's ok is when they're trying to look ridiculous and in those cases mission acomplished.
I dunno, Cynda. Some guys put the hot in hot pink if you know what I mean.
Well said Adrianna. Cynda, I can't believe you said that! Remember the pole-vault picture of Ben k.? Remember us all wearing the hot pink shirts? Damn, he looked better in it than I did (I don't look good in pink). He looked Hot. Some guys can pull it off, and when they can I say more power to them. Pink doesn't mean girly. It can mean whatever the person who is wearing it wants it to mean.
likeapuma.blogspot.com
Post a Comment